Hello November! Planning your holiday greeting cards yet? Oh wait, it’s NaNoWriMo, you probably don’t have time for that. Although I probably should continue writing on my stuff, I decided not to take part – too many other things that currently need my attention 😦
In the meantime, I discovered this lovely little challenge on Arria Cross’ blog (although I’ve also seen it on Tumblr): the 30 day anime challenge – essentially write one article about an anime a day. I was excited, and then I went through the list and realized that for some of points I wouldn’t even know what to write. Also, 30 days is kind of long…
So I’m modifying the challenge and offer my “list of 30ish anime that I think will interest you” – or something. Oh, and SPOILER alert, of course.
1. Very first anime you watched: I’m going to make this “Very first anime that you watched in its entirety from start to finish” – and that was The Rose of Versailles, known in Germany as Lady Oscar and in Japan as Berusaiyu no bara. I didn’t know it was an anime at that time, but I was a huge fan, especially of Oscar.
And I just realize that my very first anime (although I didn’t know it at the time) was actually Samurai Pizza Cats, but I didn’t watch is as religiously as The Rose of Versailles.
2. Favorite anime you’ve watched so far: Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve watched so many… Some likely candidates: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Simoun.
3. Favorite male anime character: Do I even have one? Many, many years ago it was Kaji from Evangelion (d’uh), but these days I can’t name any.
4. Favorite female anime character: Same problem as with no. 3, although this time there are too many to pick a favorite: Haruka from Sailor Moon, Oscar from The Rose of Versailles, Mami from Puella Magi Madoka Magica…
5. Anime you’re ashamed you enjoyed: Well, “ashamed” is maybe the wrong word, more like “slightly embarassed” – but there are a few contenders in this category, including Strike Witches and Meitantei Milky Holmes. Maybe also Sengoku Otome and Yuruyuri. But who needs brains, they are funny!
6. Anime you want to see but haven’t yet: Quite a few on that list, but one of the top spots is held by the Magic Knight Rayearth series. Others are for example Serial Experiments Lain and Mahoutsukai-tai. Yes, I’m old 😉
7. Your anime crush: Judging from the pictures on my walls, it must bei Rei Ayanami from Evangelion. No, something isn’t right there. Or Minna from Strike Witches? XD
8. Favorite anime couple: Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon.
Pass: Best anime villain; Favorite fighter anime; Favorite mech anime
12. Favorite anime scene: Basically every transformation scene in every magical girl anime ever 😉
Pass: Anime character you are most similar to; Anime that never gets old no matter how many times you’ve rewatched It; Favourite animal sidekick, pet, or summoning; Anime with the best animation; Favourite supporting male anime character; Favourite supporting female character; Most epic scene ever
22. Favourite weapon, gear, or armour used in an anime: I love swords, for example the one of Sailor Uranus or Kirito’s two swords in Sword Art Online (esp. the green one).
23. Favourite attack someone used in an anime: Mami’s Tiro Finale (do you write it that way?) in Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
24. Moment that shocked you the most in any anime: So many examples for this category. Mami’s sudden death in episode three (!) of Puella Magi Madoka Magica was certainly one of them – I always thought she would come back (well, she did, but in another timeline).
25. Saddest anime death: Again, more than I can count. My current top spot would be Madoka’s at the end of Puella Magi Madoka Magica – if that counts as death.
Pass: Best anime fight; Most bad-ass scene from any anime character; Favourite quote from any anime character; Anime you wish were real; An anime you wish never ended and continued on
I gave quite a few passes, so I’m adding a few items:
A) Anime you think is overrated: Quite a few on this list as well, but Revolutionary Girl Utena is definitely high up there. Most of the time, it just confused me and made zero sense. It’s probably meant to be artistic, but I prefer actual stories.
B) Anime that fall short of their original manga/novel version: Maria Watches Over Us. It just never manages to develop that atmosphere of joy and sadness that is in the original novel. To a certain degree, this also goes for Sword Art Online.
I also nominate Nana which follows the original manga so closely that it’s no longer fun to watch it. I always though that anime shouldn’t deviate too much from the original, but Nana made me rethink this stance.
C) Anime you never watched but own lots of merchandise of: Fate/Stay Night – okay, it’s on my list of “anime to watch”, but not very high up there. But I like Saber.
D) First anime you watched in Japanese with subtitles: Neon Genesis Evangelion – and even today, all the technical jibber-jabber makes it necessary to keep them on.
E) Anime that bored the hell out of you: Lots of contenders in this category – again. For example Blue Drop – it has aliens and a spaceship, but still manages to be slow-paced and boring. Also Sweet Blue Flowers – I like the manga, but the anime is just too slow paced.
F) Anime that freaked you out: This trophy goes to the movie Lily C.A.T – and no, that kitty is not cute. The eeriest thing here was probably the ending: the survivors descending without equipment on a planet with no inhabitants.
G) Something you wish didn’t exist in anime: Overly. Large. Boobs. Sorry guys, I know they’re supposed to be sexy, but in my eyes they’re just ridiculous. Oh, and manga? I’m looking at you too! (have you seen the latest Seven Seas releases? Why????)
H) Best anime soundtrack: Essentially, everything that comes from Yuki Kajiura is just pure gold, e.g. My-HiMe and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Also Toshihiko Sahashi for Simoun.
I) Best anime songs: A very long list that includes Olivia Lufkin in Nana, the openings and endings of Yuruyuri (so silly it’s actually good), Sengoku Otome, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, My-HiME and of course Neon Genesis Evangelion. Special mention for Silent Möbius.
And finally, as Bonus: Do you still own anime on tape? Guilty. For example Silent Möbius, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gun Smith Cats.